3.21.2010

Kwaj Crud 2.0 - Back With A Vengeance

I am so sick!

I have a terrible upper respiratory infection commonly known around here as the "Kwaj Crud". This is typical for newbies to the island, almost everyone gets some version of it shortly after arriving. This is my second time with it, I got it a couple months after I arrived last year and now I've got it again, but it's worse.

There are many theories about the origins of Kwaj Crud, some say it's the mold and mildew lurking in the air conditioning ducts, others think it's some kind of allergy. I've even heard theories that it comes over on the LCM from Ebeye. All I know is it sucks!

My lungs feel like bricks, my throat and nose hurt from all the coughing and nose blowing and I've had laryngitis for four days now.

Last week I started coming down with something. I went running anyway just to measure how bad it really was. It was bad. After I got back home (I run in the mornings before work) I showered and crawled back in bed for another 5 hours! The rest of the day was not much better, there was a pretty good imprint of me in the couch where I was for the rest of the day.

The bad thing is, I might be better by now but I'm the type that likes to pretend I'm not sick. I still go to work (except that first day) I still do the BBQ's with friends, and last night we stayed up late playing "dominoes". Ugh.

So this weekend, when I would love to be out playing in the sun, I'm going to lay around the house and try to get better. If not, I'm hitting First Stop on my way to work on Tuesday for some real medicine. First Stop is just a no appointment necessary time when you can visit the hospital for minor injuries and illnesses around here.

I'm not sure how fun it would be out there this weekend anyway, the beaches are all closed because of sewage sludge (their words, not mine) in the water. Yum!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Sux that the beaches are closed. Guess the pools are gonna be crowded this weekend! :)

Unknown said...

I am sorry to hear you are under the weather and hope you are feeling better soon.

I had read your blog earlier when I had considered a position on Kwaj. Things changed and I did not take the job, but I am looking again and have applied for a new spot. It will be easier this time around as I can go unaccompanied.

I would love to be able to chat with you about life there and the transition from mainland to paradise.

Thanks in advance and have a great weekend.

Rebecca said...

Thanks for the well wishes.

I'm finally better. That's the longest I've ever been sick I think. 10 whole days!

This weekend is the Music Festival, I'm looking forward to it!

If you would like to chat via email, post a comment with your email address, I won't publish it and I'll send you an email to get started.

Take care!

Gee North said...

Dude
It is the food and the dining hall. been there. STAY AWAY FROM THE SALAD BAR