4.18.2009

Exploring Roi Namur

This last weekend I went to Roi Namur for some new ground to explore. I’ve been there once before but it was a very quick trip for work and there is a lot to see on Roi as it’s called for short. There are only about 80 people that live there currently so it’s kind of a little getaway for Kwaj people. I enjoyed myself quite a bit; it was very relaxing.
Detail of a coconut tree
Detail of a coconut tree



There were 4 of us that went up together. The other 3 were divers so while they went off diving, I went exploring. I set out on foot with my camera, my bag of snacks and my book. There are WWII remnants all over the island. I got quite a few pictures but I can’t really tell you a whole lot about the history of them. One thing about the structures that’s so amazing is that you can tell that they have been bombed repeatedly and they are still standing. It’s incredible.






I explored beaches, and went swimming, I found cool little areas people have set up near the beaches, I stopped at the beachside bar. It’s kind of a bring your own kind of place, no one works there and there are no drinks to buy but it’s a pretty cool place to just hang out and watch the waves roll in. I spent time reading my book and overall just relaxing. It was nice.


After dinner I wandered by the outdoor theater, Madagascar 2 was playing and I watched some of it to kill some time until I met up with the others for evening drinks. It was a good time to get to know each other, visit, and talk about our day.

The next morning, we rented a cart and I got to see the rest of the island that I wasn’t able to cover the previous day. It was a very wet and rainy day but fun. We did the tour and then met up with several other Kwaj folks all waiting for the return plane back home.
Outdoor car wash

Originally we were going to sail to Roi but the weather didn’t cooperate for that. We still did what we had planned to do on Roi anyway, just minus the sailing. Hopefully another opportunity to sail will come up soon. I really enjoy it, what little I’ve done so far.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

A car wash! Shouldn't that be a bicycle wash? How many cars are there on the island?

Rebecca said...

Not many that would fit in there. Lots of big work trucks and golf carts but only a couple of cars.
Not sure why...

Anonymous said...

Roi workers uses that carwash in vehicle maintenance for salt encrustation removal and corrosion prevention.

I used the wash on a regular basis on the WWTP/WTP Ford Ranger every Saturday or Sunday afternoon.